The government has decided to establish first-ever 700 megawatt (MW) dedicated solar power plant at a cost of $630 million to feed two special economic zones (SEZs) in Punjab, officials said on Thursday.
Board of Investment (BOI) played a key role in the signing of a tripartite memorandum of understanding (MoU) between state-owned enterprises including Faisalabad Industrial Estate Development & Management Company (FIEDMC), Power China Jiangxi Electric Power Construction Co Ltd (JEPCC) -a subsidiary of Power China and Henan Zhonghui Electric Power Engineering & Consulting Co Ltd (HZEPEC).
Officials in BOI said the Chinese companies had proposed to set up a Photovoltaic Power Project of 700MW for the two SEZs of FIEDMC namely M3-Industrial City and Allama Iqbal Industrial City.
The provisionally estimated total investment of the project is $630 million; wherein Chinese companies will come as financers and SEZ developer/FIEDMC could provide land on lease or to be an equity investment partner in the project.
According to sources, the project will be completed in three phases as per the electricity demand of the SEZs.
They said the FIEDMC would provide the estimated power requirement for both the SEZs, along with the status of infrastructure inside and outside the SEZ for power distribution from FIEDMC.
“It is planned to adopt BOLT (build-own-lease-transfer) cooperation method for the project which is a first ever BOLT model in Pakistan,” the officials said.
They said it was under the sapient guidance of the ex-secretary BOI, Omer Rasul, now posted as Secretary Energy, Power Division, and facilitation of the Project Management Unit of CPEC Industrial Cooperation in BOI that this MoU was signed.
Sources said this MoU would pave way for private SEZs to have their own captive power plants for uninterruptible, affordable, and sustainable power supply.
The SEZ Act 2012 also entitles the SEZs developers to establish their own captive power generation facility. The present government also accords top priority to solar/alternative energy generation to increase the share of green energy in the overall energy mix.
Meanwhile, After lockdown for about 10 months, smeltery of Saindak Project, Metallurgical Corporation of China Ltd. (MCC), has resumed it’s work and produced the first batch of crude copper this week, Gwadar Pro reported on Thursday.
According to Manager of Saindak Project, “the smeltery is a core part of whole project. The first batch of crude copper produced means that Saindak Project resumes complete flow scheme of beneficiation, mining, and smelting while preventing and controlling epidemic.”
Impacted by winter vacation and COVID-19, Pakistani staff couldn’t get full salary due to the smeltery locked since November 2019. “The livelihood of Pakistani personnel is facing crisis, and such a situation will threaten the regional security, prosperity and stability,” the manager said.
As per the details, on June 6th, 68 Chinese staff arrived Saindak Balochistan and started a 14-days isolated for observation. Meanwhile, Pakistani personnel were gathered in another isolated site nearby Saindak project to prepare for resuming smelting. During observational period, both Pakistani and Chinese staff strictly complied with each term of stipulation and measure so that their health could be protected from COVID-19.
On June 22th, the personnel finished isolation and taken nucleic acid testing on June 28th. Though the staff were released from isolation, the smeltery couldn’t resume immediately because there were several issues left to cope with. Due to the long-term lockdown, apparatus and machines in Saindak smeltery needs a complete overhaul. Hence, technical staff discussed and drew up a plan for resuming production in detail, including controlling pandemic, overhauling devices, personnel training, and igniting furnace.
On July 9th, the smeltery of MCC Saindak Project was reignited after it had been shut down for nearly 10 months. On July 13, the smeltery produced its first batch of crude copper, he added.
July 17, 2020: The Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) has approved four projects worth Rs289 billion for construction of national highways in different parts of the country.
The ECNEC meeting, chaired by Adviser to the Prime Minister on Finance and Revenue Dr Abdul Hafeez Shaikh, gave go-ahead to the four projects. “ECNEC approved 4 projects worth Rs 289 billion in Thursday’s meeting. These included Sukkur-Hyderabad motorway, Hoshab-Awaran-Khuzdar section of M 8, Swat expressway Chakdara to Fatehpur section and addition of linkage of Khyber Agency to Khyber Pass economic corridor,” Federal Minister for Planning and Development Asad Umar said on twitter.
The approved projects included construction of 306-km long Hyderabad-Sukkur Motorway at a cost of Rs 165.679 billion, construction of 47.55-km Khyber Pass Economic Corridor (KPEC) Project at a cost of Rs 77.907 billion, construction of 146-km Hoshab-Awaran-Khuzdar Section of M-8 Project, and land acquisition for Swat Motorway Phase-II at a cost of Rs 20 billion.
The Hyderabad-Sukkur Motorway project to be completed on Built Operate Transfer (BOT) basis envisages construction of 306 km long, 6-lane wide, access-controlled motorway. The motorway is proposed to be a high speed toll road facility for efficient and safe transportation, which will start from Hyderabad (end of Karachi-Hyderabad Motorway M-9) and terminates at Naro Canal (Start of Sukkur-Multan Motorway M-5). The project alignment passes through Jamshoro, Tando Adam, Hala, Shahdadpur, Nawabshah, Moro, Dadu, Naushahro Feroze, Mehrabpur, Rasoolpur, Larakana, Khairpur and Sukkur.
The Khyber Pass Economic Corridor (KPEC) project consists of two components involving construction of Peshawar-Torkham Motorway and link road connecting motorway to Badabher (N-55) intersecting N-5 between Chamkani and Jhagra (55km) in length. The project envisages construction of 47.55 km long, 4 lane wide, dual carriageway high-speed access controlled Motorway from Peshawar to Torkham. Peshawar Torkham Motorway is part of the Peshawar-Jalalabad-Kabul Motorway Project. The scope of work also includes construction of bridges, interchanges, flyover, subways, underpasses, box culverts, cattle creep, road furniture, drainage works, and retaining walls alongwith allied facilities.
Hoshab-Awaran-Khuzdar Section of M-8 Project envisages construction of 146 km long road from Hoshab to Awarn . There exists motorable track from Hoshab to Awaran under administrative control of C&W Department, Govt. of Balochistan. Existing route is mostly followed while finalizing the alignment. The project road starts from Hoshab and traverses through Qila Darwesh, Ashal, Dandar, Sahar Kalat, Gorari, Laljan, Duddar, Razai, Nurdin, Madak, Malar, Labach Dargo and finally terminaters at Awaran. The scope of works also includes relocation of utilities and acquisition of 29,200 kanals of land for 100m of Right of Way (ROW). “The Hoshab-Awaran segment of M 8 motorway will further enhance connectivity of Balochistan, and play an important role in providing connectivity to the future trade thru Gwadar with central Pakistan,” Federal Minister for Planning and Development said.
The Swat Motorway Phase-II project envisages acquisition of 10,000 kanals of land for construction of 04-lane motorway 79.69 km in length from Chakdara to Fatehpur as Phase-II – extension of the Swat Motorway. The motorway is proposed as a high speed toll road facility for efficient and safe transportation. The Right of Way proposed for the motorway is 50m.
Asad Umar said Swat motorway extension will run from Chakdara thru Saidu Sharif/Mingora, Matta, Khawazakhela all the way to Fatehpur. This will help open up the economic and tourism potential of this beautiful region.